Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Shodow of the Colossis

For the past few months I've been keeping up with this game called Shadow of the Colossus. There were several features about the game discussed in the previews that I really hoped were as good as they sounded. A game with nothing but boss battles and the story telling genius of the developer of ICO was enough to sell me. I tried my best not to get over hyped about it.

After several months of waiting the game was finally released. My roommate and I obtained a copy and hastily brought it home. We watched the calming opening sequence and tried to wrap our heads around the game’s idea. The abstract story is difficult to truly comprehend unless you accept how basic it is. A nameless hero traveling to a land were the dead can be brought back to life. The deaths of the colossi are required to bring back the soul of a girl. A girl the hero is willing to pay any price to save.

There is magic to this game that I can't really describe. Maybe it’s the soothing music of the violin playing while I ride my horse across the plain, or possibly the majesty of the colossi towering over me as I attempt to climb up its leg. There is just this odd euphoria about the game, as if I have been searching through my dreams to find it.

If you're into video games at all you really need to take a moment and find this one.

-LogicLB

No comments: