Monday, October 03, 2005

Carrying the Casket

Tomorrow I'm suppost to carry my Great Grandmother's casket to her grave site. First time I'll be a casket bearer. I dont remember much of this person I'm bearing to the grave. I remember the house she owned, the sugar cookies she always had on hand, and the strange mechanical bird in the living room. I dont feel much sense of loss, I dont feel much of anything.

I'm told she is the last of the generation, outliving all of her siblings by several years. Grandma Lou was ninity nine years old, only weeks away from her hundredth birthday. On the greeting table for her visitation was a birthday card from Laura Bush, so I guess it was official.

After the visitation, Brian, one of my father's cousins invited everyone back to his house. My social anxzity is in full gear, I see all these people I'm suppost to know and I cant remember most any of them. I try my best to stay atentive, but after about twenty minutes I escape to playing a break out clone on my PocketPC. After making a delicious turkey sandwich I listened in on a conversation my father, uncle and 3 of their cousins were having. They were telling stories about living in the same small town and the mischif they would cause. It was odd to hear all the things my father used to do, and then compare that person to the man I knew when growing up. Soon afterward my brother and I take off for the hotel were staying at. He and I discusse how that would be us in thirty years, except we would be talking about the times we would sneak into the basement to play the Super Nintendo.

I'll be back in town tomorrow night. I'm suppost to hang out with Sean, a friend I haven't spoken to for over a year. I have mixed feelings about the whole situation, but its something I need to do. I'll save the backstory for another time, I'll let you know how it goes.

-LogicLB

No comments: